It is completely normal to be scared to try tumbling for the first time. Or, maybe you got hurt and getting hurt created the fear. Remember, you can get hurt doing almost anything, and you can not allow the fear to stop you. Here are some things to remember to help you get over your fears:
1. Always be cautious.
2. Do not tumble without a professional there.
3. Use specific equipment provided in a professional gym to learn. For example, a trampoline is an excellent tool to use. It gives you an extra bounce and allows you to get the feeling of how its supposed to feel when you do that trick on the floor. Also, if you fall on a trampoline, is doesn't hurt like it would if you were on the floor.
4. Always stretch before you do anything as stretching helps prevent injuries.
5. Visualize yourself doing the skill. Picture yourself not only completing the trick, but doing it well. Feel what it is like to be in the air and what it is like to land it safely!
6. BE CONFIDENT! Being confident can also help prevent injury as tumbling is at least 50% mental. If you believe you can do it, train hard, and give it your best, chances are you can.
So, before you just try something, use your head and ask yourself: "Is this a safe situation for me?" if the answer is yes. GO FOR IT!