Here are a few key points to becoming an advanced flyer.
1. You MUST stretch EVERYDAY.Tomaster advanced stunts like a Scorpion, a Heal Stretch, a Bow-N-Arrow, and a Scale, you must be very flexible.So, here are some stretching tips:
*Back Stretch for a Scropian:Do a bridge/backbend and try to move your feet as close to your hands as possible.Or,lay on your stomach and push your chest up with your hands on the floor and try to touch your feet to your head (aka a bunny pose).
*Stretching for a heal stretch / Bow-n-arrow:Do splits on both legs. When your split becomes easy,put one foot on a step or mat and do a split with your front leg elevated.
2. Practice standing on one foot.Use chair or a parking spot curb.Practice climbing by thinking in your head "1,2, down, up" and use the back of the chair to push off of.
3. Practice twists on a Mat.You can practice full downs and double downs on a trampoline or squash mat.Think "cradle! 1, 2," jump up and spin down.
4. Squeeze or “Pinch a Penny”.When you're in the air, ALWAYS squeeze ALL of your muscles!
5.Smile! Everyone is watching you in the air so do not forget your facials!
6.Be CONFIDENT!Know that you can do your stunt and trust your teammates.
Here are some important things for Flyers to know before attempting a pyramid:
1. When you connect arms and/or hold a hitched foot, DO NOT use that foot or hand to keep your balance, just touch to connect.
2. If you find yourself falling, LET GO of anyone you are connected with.This way you can prevent them from falling or having them fall on top of you, which can be a disaster!
3. You are most likely more comfortable standing on your right leg as most Flyers use their right foot to fly on.However, in a pyramid you might be asked to fly on the other foot depending on what side of the pyramid you are on.So practice your skills on both legs.
For more information on stunts and pyramids, click on CHEERLEADING STUNTS. Don't forget, to always practice with a qualified coach!
Now that you have all of your arm and hand motions, combine them with our leg positions and make them your own! Click on CHEERLEADING LEG POSITIONS for all of the details including the Hitch, Liberty, Digs and Lunges. Also, we have included kneeling positions in this section too.
Be creative with your motions and have fun with them!
Which jump would you like info on: the Straight Jump, Tuck Jump, Spread Eagle, Side Hurdler, Double Hook, Front Hurdler, Toe Touch, Pike, or the Double Nine? Well we have the answers you are looking for! Just click on our JUMPS page and get ready for all of your jump info in one place! Happy Jumping!
Once you have your beginning motions mastered, check out our "More Motions" section where you will find everything from Diagonals to "L" motions, and from "K" motions to Checks. Click on CHEERLEADING MOTIONS for all of our color photos!