· Be EARLY!
· Have FUN - that’s what this is all about anyway!
· BREATHE! It will help you calm down.
· Warm up and stretch before you see the judges
· Wear appropriate clothing! You should wear something that shows your team spirit. Please do not wear shorts that are too short or roll them up! A team shirt and solid color shorts always works best.
· Wear minimal makeup - you want people to notice your smile and great skills not your eye shadow.
· Always pull your hair back away from your face with LOTS of hairspray so it will not bother you during your tryout.
While in front of the judges
SMILE SMILE SMILE! No one wants to watch someone with a frown on their face, even if they are the best cheerleader around!
· Be Confident in you and your skills - sell them! Why should a judge be confident in your ability to be a cheerleader if you are not?
· Make eye contact with all of the judges - just not the one in front of you.
· Never look down at the floor. So many girls get in front of the judges and look down because they are nervous - looking down is a sure sign you are uncomfortable and the judges will feel this.
· Please do not play with your clothing or your hair.
· Do not talk to the other cheerleaders in your group.
· If you make a mistake - it is ok, just continue with your tryout. Pretend that it did not even happen - DO NOT call attention to it.
· Technique matters. Make sure your motions are sharp and you complete all of your skills. For example, finish your jumps with a strong ending - Sell it!
To conclude, we hope that these tips will help make your tryout process easier. Be confident in your skills. Hopefully you have practiced enough and you are prepared so there is no reason to be nervous. Do your best and enjoy the process. :-)