Stretching is a very important part of your conditioning. It can improve your jumps, help to prevent injuries, as well as improve your flexibility. Here are some tips to remember when stretching:
- Always warm up first.
- Stretch BEFORE your full practice. A good warm up will make all the difference in your performance.
- Stretching AFTER your practice is extremely important too. Hold your stretches LONGER during your cool down as this is the time you gain flexibility in your muscles.
- Stretch to the point of mild discomfort, not pain.
- Hold each stretch for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Repeat each stretch 2 to 5 times, trying to stretch a little further each time.
- Do not bounce while you are stretching.
For more stretching photos and a how to video, click STRETCHING FOR CHEERLEADERS.