Yoga is a wonderful exercise for EVERYONE including cheerleaders. No matter what your age or exercise skill level, Yoga can benefit you. Yoga will help you:
- Breathe Properly as you focus on your breathing.
- Improve your Focus as you concentrate on your muscles, how your body feels, and your breathing.
- Reduce Stress Levels as your learn to slow down and "be in the moment". When you do Yoga, you should focus on your body and your breathing, not what happened during the day or what you have to do later.
- Strengthen your Muscles as many Yoga poses tone your muscles as well as stretch them.
Why should cheerleaders do Yoga?
Yoga will help you with your studies as well as your cheerleading skills. Yoga will teach you to improve your focus to help you concentrate on your homework. In addition, it will help increase your flexibility, improve your balance and condition your muscles, which every cheerleader needs! Here are some things to remember:
- Wear something that is comfortable for you to stretch in and do not wear any shoes.
- Focus on what you are stretching and do not stretch if you feel pain. Let your body stretch at it's own pace.
- Think about your breath. Most people never really pay attention to their breathing, which is one of the most important activities we do.
- Do Yoga for you. Do not compare your yoga skills to anyone else. Everyone is different and just do what you can. You will get better with practice.
- Listen to your body. Do not stretch beyond what your body can do.
When should you do Yoga?
Yoga can be done any time of day. Many people like to do a 10 minute routine first thing in the morning to get their body ready for the day. Try it, and see if it helps you focus during your day.
For more Tips, click on YOGA FOR CHEERLEADERS and Enjoy!